The neighbourhood between Dadar and Parel in Central Mumbai The dargah of 14th century saint Syed Hazrat Lal Shah Baj Kalunder or Lal Shah Sahib, at Tawaripada, is believed to have given the area the name ‘Lalbaug’
14th century saint Syed Hazrat Lal Shah Baj Kalunder or Lal Shah Sahib, at Tawaripada, Located adjacent to Hanuman Theatre is Lal Shah Sahib’s younger brother Pir Chand Shah Sahib’s dargah. Historians believe it to be the oldest dargah in Mumbai. Its structure was destroyed during the 1992 riots, but it was reconstructed in 1993 by the Hindu caretaker family.
Lal Baug is also where the Godrej soaps to security conglomerate has its humble origins. Ardeshir Godrej set up his padlock factory in one of its by-lanes to ensure safer homes in the vicinity in 1897. Godrej still owns large chunks of land in Lal Baug.
Sufi Saint Lal Shah Baba had arrived from Mecca in 17th century to Mumbai and was known to have blessed the city and its local inhabitants. His fame was far and wide and after his death in 1782 a Mausoleum complex was built in his respect by a British officer.