The lands in Bombay which fell under this tenure were situated mainly at Naigaum, Parel, north-east of Sion, Fort and a small portion near Dadar and Dharavi. Inam lands pay no assessment to Government nor judi or cess of any kind. The area was roughly 878 acres.
The grants were made to the Lowji (Wadia) family in 1783, 1821 and 1885 on account of the services they rendered as shipbuilders to the Company. The Inam lands at Sion comprised in the grant of 1821 were exchanged with certain lands in the Thane district in 1885.