The Elphinstone Mill and Elphinstone Road station took their name from Lord John Elphinstone, who was governor of the island city from 1853 under the East India Company to nearly 1859-60 when the British government took over.
In 1921, on November 17th Gandhi addressed a gathering of fifty thousand people at Elphinstone Mill during the visit of Prince of Wales and a hartal was observed. The address was followed by a burning of the piles of foreign clothes. At that time the Mill was owned by Umar Sobhani. (Hazeerisingh, 1999)