Anthropological Society of Bombay
The Anthropological Society of Bombay was established on 7th April 1886, by Edward T. Leith; a lawyer by practise as a non-governmental association with individuals having similar interests. The modus operandi of the association involved holding a monthly meeting in which papers were red and commented upon and were later published in the Journal of Anthropological Society of Bombay. The Journal was published during the years 1886 to 1936 abd during this period of 50 years 15 volumes were published, each containing 8 issues. The artifacts of the Society were donated to the Prince of Wales of Museum in the year 1921. The journal was run on the basis of the donations received from the business houses of Bombay and the Maharaja of Baroda.
ASB gots its Indian President as Khurshedjee Rustomjee Cama in the year 1901 and in the year 1942 G S Ghurye became its President and with whom the turn came of 'anthropology within sociology'. In the year 1973, the Society as well as the Journal was finally closed.
For Further Reading:
Anthropology in Bombay, 1886-1936 by A M Shah