The sanads of Bombay covered a period of 40 years from 1814 to 1854 during which 828 sanads were issued by the Collector. They relate to portions of ground mostly in the New Town and issued to individuals for building-sites. It was not till 1903 that the long forgotten Sanads were brought to light. The Sanads were thereafter very carefully indexed and in May 1904, Government offered the holders of Sanadi lands a more permanent tenancy of a 50 years lease. The rent for these lands was fixed according to the types. These orders were subsequently modified in April 1906 and again in 1908 by a further offer of conversion into quit and ground rent tenure on payment by a holder.